Today’s exercises including re-reading the BEFORE ME and really ‘feeling’ with all my senses the pain of that experience. The book explained that our issue with drinking is actually the gift and that our past was perfect… All things do happen for a reason. I have so been there/done that with the Before Me and how yuck it makes me feel. Even the visualizing – I could feel the tension knotting up inside me. I don’t want that to be part of my life anymore.
I loved this video they shared as a bonus resource too – and for me the tools/resources and go to people are my groups (HAMS, SP Cutting Down the Booze Team and this sober blogging world). Craig Ferguson, a former late-night host, shares an extremely funny and enlightening personal story about how absurd his drinking was before he got sober.
The other action step was to list things I’d do to distract myself if the craving for alcohol surged and also to plan some rewards. I’ve posted this before but here it is again:
So here’s the book’s (Responsible Drinking: Moderation Management…) 3 dozen ‘Distractions’ to take your mind off the urge and point it in a healthier direction:
1. Take a walk.
2. Take a drive.
3. Do exercise at home or go to the gym.
4. Go jogging.
5. Listen to favorite music.
6. Telephone a friend.
7. Clean out the garage.
8. Cook something interesting.
9. Go to the library or bookstore.
10. Work in the yard.
11. Clean and polish the car.
12. Take a shower or bath.
13. Read the newspaper, a magazine, or a book.
14. Drink something nonalcoholic.
15. Get a video.
16. Write a letter or e-mail.
17. Plan your next vacation.
18. Make up a grocery store or hardware store shopping list.
19. Go shopping or window-shopping.
20. Plan on redecorating a room.
21. Clean out the refrigerator.
22. Have sex.
23. Go to a driving range.
24. Pay the bills.
25. Make up a household budget or plan future finances.
26. Check stock market action and look for investments.
27. Talk to your children.
28. Get a haircut or manicure.
29. Get a massage.
30. Work on a sewing project.
31. Start a journal.
32. Look into your geneology on the Internet.
33. Visit a friend.
34. Get the snapshot collection in order.
35. Make popcorn.
36. Start a woodwork project.
My rewards… well a wonderful family trip to Barbados in April where I will be thinner, healthier and successful in reaching this 100% commitment to a sober REBOOT! This CAN and will be done… my past was the failure and the present is my success!